Friday, September 12, 2008

An Anniversary Cake_Part 1: The pre-decorating

For this weekend, Andrew and I volunteered to make his grandparents a 50th wedding anniversary cake. So, I am attempting roses...on the cake...for the first time. (Just picture a scared look on my face, right about now.) I've done roses before, but in the decorating icing (regular "buttercream," without the butter), and not on a cake. They were pretty good and stayed firm for several days. But sometimes I'm not too clever on some things and I think this was one of them.... I'm trying them with very, very, greasy, buttery, buttercream icing. This is not your ordinary buttercream icing that you get on a cake from a grocery bakery, this is melt in your mouth and your hand, buttery, sweet, creamy (and cream colored) icing--which tastes best on a red-velvet cake....hmmm, yummy.


I've already started on the roses, actually started on Wednesday, and I'm keeping them in the freezer. This is partly because it's so humid down here in Alabama this week that the icing thaws out in just a few minutes....or is that because we have a crappy freezer? It could be both. Either way, I hope we can make it to Rome, GA from Huntsville, AL without any disasters. Oh, by the way, we're taking the air conditioned vehicle.

No comments:

Post a Comment